We all know renovations can be a bit daunting, messy and quite costly. Therefore, our goal is that our clients' experience with Nordic Homeworx and investment in a Kährs wood floor will be a positive one.
Our boutique-style concept, combined with our Swedish ethos, means that we cater to our clients in a more personalised manner. We focus on our clients' individuals needs, where our main priority is their satisfaction with their experience with both our service and with their Kährs wood floors - before, during and after the installation - including coordinating and cooperating with other works ongoing during the renovation process.
That is why we are starting a series of client feedback posts to highlight some of our wonderful clients and their beautifully transformed homes in Dubai. We hope their genuine words and beautiful homes will inspire you to transform yours as well!
The first in the series is Ritika. She selected the luxurious, nearly black Kährs Oak Java wood flooring for her Jumeirah Islands villa which works perfectly as a contrast to the stark white walls and mouldings. Ritika designed all the interiors herself- renovating the villa into a harmonious home for herself and her family.
View more images of Ritika's elegant home here.
Photography by Studio Zee
Last week we visited our client's apartment with our trusted partner Studio Zee for a photoshoot of their newly renovated home. We had been to the apartment back in November 2016, before renovations began, in order to get some before shots - and we are so happy we did because what a transformation it was!
Here are a some before and after pictures of the client's apartment in Jumeirah Beach Residence, Dubai:
As you can see, the client made huge some pretty big changes in their apartment - including going from the standard tiles to our natural Kährs Oak Verona wood flooring. We love!
You can view all the pictures of the client's apartment here.
Yesterday morning we had an intimate Swedish Breakfast Fika in our showroom. Fika is a concept in Swedish culture with the basic meaning "to have coffee", often accompanied with pastries or cookies. As it was breakfast, we arranged some Swedish delicacies from Dubai-based catering company Smørrebrød - including open sandwiches with diverse toppings such as Swedish meatballs, gravadlax and Cambozola cheese; and traditional cinnamon buns and cookies.
With regards to the styling, we wanted to create a natural, Scandinavian feeling that ties in with the overall feeling in our showroom. Contrasting materials, such as linen and rustic wood, complement each other so well and create a cozy feeling. Natural materials and creating beauty in the contrasts was our main inspiration for the styling.
For the Smörgåsbord (buffet), we used a graphite grey linen tablecloth to soften the wooden bar counter and wooden trays to serve the food on. For the table setting, we had black stoneware plates and ivory linen napkins from Crate & Barrel - decorated with wild forest florals from Bliss and personalised butter knives from Småland tied together with jute rope. This simple combination creates a natural, nordic spring feeling.
Photography by Marko Zirdum (Studio Zee)
Inspired by our Floor of the Month, we are dreaming of the bohemian and tropical island of Bali. Neutral Balinese interiors with a Nordic touch, that together create a calm and harmonious feeling. Raw and natural materials such as linen, wood, rattan and bamboo in neutral white and beige tones, with accents of black that add an edgy feel.
Our Floor of the Month for May, Kährs Pale has a semi-transparent white colour with balanced contrast that allow the warm oak nuances to shine through. The perfect base for a light, nordic style interior.
Proudly presenting our new #FloorOfTheMonth Kährs Oak Pale: a floor with a semi-transparent white stain with balanced contrast that allows the warm oak nuances to shine through. The perfect base for a light, nordic style interior, and comes with a 30-year warranty. Offered with a special 20% discount during May 2017.
Click here for more details!
On Wednesday, 26 April 2017, the Ambassador of Sweden, H.E. Jan Thesleff, will transform his private residence into a gallery for an evening.
The evening will see a showcasing of Kährs wood flooring from Sweden by Nordic Homeworx alongside unique art and carpets by Swedish artist Cecilia Setterdahl of Carpets CC.
We are very honoured to have H.E. Farida Abdulla Kamber Al Awadhi - President of the Association of Professional Interior Designers (APID), as honorary guest for the event.
We look forward to celebrating Swedish craftsmanship, art and design in the UAE!
Wood is the most sustainable, beautiful and versatile flooring material there is. That’s why we only work with wood. Few materials can add as much warmth and character as wood. It softens the most minimalistic designs, while accentuating a more traditional interior. And although trends may come and go, quality and style never go out of fashion. That’s why a wood floor from Kährs will be as appreciated tomorrow as it is today.
Here are 6 simple reasons why you should choose Kährs wood flooring:
1. A LONG TRADITION
Kährs is the oldest wood flooring manufacturer in the world still in operation, with a 160-year history dating back to 1857. It is also the most innovative with a tradition of leading the development of the modern parquet floor.
Kährs was founded as a family business 160 years ago in the small town of Nybro in southern Sweden - a region known for its wild beauty, rugged scenery and dense forests.
2. THE MOST INNOVATIVE FLOORING COMPANY
In 1941, Kährs was granted a patent for a multi-layer wood flooring construction – the world’s first engineered wood floor. The construction ensures that the floor remains intact despite seasonal fluctuations of humidity.
In 1999, Kährs was the first floor manufacturer to introduce a mechanical glueless joint system – the ingenious Woodloc® system. This system revolutionized the wood flooring market. With the Woodloc® 5S joint, the system has been even further perfected.
Kährs has put a lot of effort and research into finding surface treatments that are strong enough to withstand daily wear and tear, but thin enough to enhance the natural beauty of the wood. All our surface treatments are naturally free from solvents, formaldehyde and isocyanate.
3. ENDLESS DESIGN OPTIONS
Whatever the size of your room or interior style, there’s a Kährs floor that will enhance the space. The floors come in a great variety of colours and species, sizes, patterns and finishes.
Brushed, handscraped, bevelled, silky smooth or matt. Each Kährs plank is unique and individually treated, according to its own unique composition of knots and graining.
The ultimate feeling and look of the floor depends on the surface treatment. Kährs provides several options. The silk matt lacquer gives the floor a smooth surface, and the matt lacquer will make it appear untreated, while the nature oil gives the floor a wonderfully natural feeling.
4. BEAUTY WITH A CONSCIENCE
Kährs multi-layer construction means that the wood raw material is utilised as efficiently as possible. At the plant in Nybro nothing goes to waste. The parts of the logs that cannot be used for floors become bio-fuel that heats up the production facilities. About 45,000 people in the neighbourhood also enjoy the warmth of our recycled wood.
Kährs production process has been designed to have minimal impact on the environment. Over the years, the company has introduced a number of manufacturing and flooring innovations that have enabled a more responsible, green production.
Kährs Swedish heritage characterises everything the company stands for, from high regard for quality and design to concern for the environment. It earned the company an ISO 14001 environmental management certification more than a decade ago.
5. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Kährs has been manufacturing quality, multilayered wood floors for more than 60 years – floors that have been perfected over the years. This means that we can offer more extensive guarantees than any other wood floor manufacturer. Combined with a complete care and maintenance program, Kährs offers a guarantee of up to 30 years.
Kährs floors works perfectly well combined with underfloor heating. One reason is the strong Woodloc® joints, another the stable and well-balanced construction of the board.
5. COMPLETE SYSTEM
Kährs offers a complete flooring system where every detail – from the skirtings to the wide range of installation and maintenance products – has been design to enhance the beauty of strength of the floor.
The smallest things often make the biggest difference. This is true of a Kährs floor, where the highest level of skill and craftsmanship is added to every detail, including the skirting boards and different types of mouldings.
Kährs Care and Maintenance range covers all you need for daily care as well as regular maintenance of the floor. It also includes products for a damaged floor.
Want to learn more? Call us on tel. +971 4 369 55 69 or book an appointment with one of our Kährs wood flooring specialists, and visit our showroom in Sidra Tower, Dubai!
This is a guest blogpost by Caroline Modig on how to care for your wooden flooring and get that timeless finish!
Anyone can vouch for the fact that hardwood flooring is one of the most beautiful design investments that can be made. Its timelessness not only reflects the owner’s impeccable sense of style but also adds character to the space. The colour of the wood, the richness of grain and the exclusivity of it all makes it an alluring flooring option. While classing up the look of a room, wooden flooring can be easily cleaned and a little extra love and care will keep them looking new for a long time to come! So, to keep your wooden flooring protected at all times, especially from damages long-term wear and tear, you must:
• Vacuum lightly or sweep your floor daily with a soft-bristled broom to prevent build-up of dirt, dust and other particles that may scratch the wood's surface. You can even use a dry microfiber mop to remove the grime that accumulates between the floorboards.
• Try to limit the exposure to direct sunlight by using protective window coverings/blinds to ensure your wooden flooring ages evenly. You can also try and rearrange your furniture periodically to avoid uneven ageing.
• Ensure you get the floors cleaned by a professional or by using a specialised hardwood floor cleaner. The frequency of this activity depends on the kind of traffic and wear and tear the floor goes through. You can even supplement that by adding a maintenance coat every few years or go old school by using the sand and refinish method whenever necessary.
• Prevent moisture damage using a dehumidifier. Moisture damage is common in wooden flooring, but that doesn't mean damage due to liquid spills (which you must ensure gets cleaned up immediately), but rather damage due to the climatic moisture changes.
In addition to the regular maintenance tips mentioned above, keep the following guidelines in mind to ensure your wood floors look timeless!
• Avoid using use vinyl or tile cleaning products on hardwood flooring.
• Do not use a wet-mop or steam mop to clean wooden flooring as the water can dull the finish and damage the wood.
• Use throw rugs at doorways to help prevent debris from being tracked in and scratching the floor.
• If your wooden floor starts looking dull, try buffing instead of waxing it with acrylic waxes to avoid the flooring from becoming slippery.
• Do not over-wax a wood floor. If a wax floor dulls, try buffing instead. Avoid wax buildup under furniture and other light traffic areas by applying wax in these spots every other waxing session.
• Be selective about the footwear used on wooden flooring. Shoes such as high heels and sports cleats can scratch the surface of the wood and even leave dents on the surface. Pro Tip - Do not wear slippers or footwear while cleaning your flooring as the dirt particles can get trapped under your footwear causing additional scratches.
• Consider investing in an area rug! It prevents wear and tear as well as scratches and scuff marks in high traffic areas. You can choose the area rug to accent the look you want to achieve depending on the style and finish of the wood you’ve chosen.
Image credit: www.arthide.co
Pro Tip - The material of the rug can also impact the qualities of the wood, so choose a rug made from natural fibers to avoid damage due to contact of synthetic materials. There are a variety of hand-woven designs to choose from. You can even opt for a luxurious cowhide rug which is both natural and hypoallergenic making it a perfect addition to your natural wood flooring. Take a look at some beautiful floor-rug pairings and get inspired!
• Colour Contrast - Pick a rug that is a complete contrast to the flooring, this will make the rug the focal point of the room will pulling attention to your beautiful hardwood flooring.
• Match the floor - You can even match the rug to your flooring for a beautiful design accent that adds to the overall appeal of the room, while ensuring the floors remain the focal point of the room.
• Tie it in with the upholstery - Match the rug to your upholstery instead of your flooring and add a unique touch to the place while tying in the rug with the desired look.
• Secondary colours - Many hardwood floors have multiple colours in through their grain, you can choose to match the rug with the secondary colour to create a beautiful blend of textures and colours.
Caroline Modig works at Art Hide and oversees their marketing and promotional efforts. Her passion for interior design and the knowledge she gained over the years allows her to find time from her busy schedule to write informative blogs about interior trends, popular styling tips and everything related. When she isn’t working or writing, you can find her relaxing to some contemporary jazz while solving puzzles.
Happy Easter! 💛
Did you know that in Sweden, children usually dress up as witches for Easter? Clad in discarded clothes, colourful headscarves, red-painted cheeks and black freckles, and carrying a basket and occasionally a broomstick; they go from house to house in their neighbourhoods, knocking on doors in hopes of receiving sweets in exchange for their drawings.